Fortanansce & Associates Physical Therapy - Arcadia
Hours of Operation
M-F 7:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday: 8:30am - 1:30pm
Pilates Studio open 7 days a week. See Class Schedule under the Pilates link for times.
Services We Offer
Physical therapy helps individuals when health problems make it hard to move around and do everyday tasks.
A type of rehabilitation performed by our occupational therapist on patients with conditions affecting the hands and upper extremities.
A therapeutic procedure which attempts to improve function through the application of aquatic therapeutic exercises.
A procedure which affect muscular structures, soft tissues, circulatory systems, and more for therapeutic purposes.
Aquatic therapy is a useful tool used to ease pregnancy discomforts and stay in shape safely.
A system of exercises designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, posture, core stabilization and enhance mental state using a special apparatus called a Pilates Reformer.
Our Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) provide daily practice and athletic event coverage, along with on-campus rehabilitation service.
A group based fitness program designed to meet the health and fitness goals of each individual.
Physical assesment to evaluate an individual's ability to perform work-related activity.
Michael G. Fortanasce, PT, DPT President
- Master of Science from Boston University 1977.
- Clinical Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the University of Southern California 1996.
- Founded Fortanasce & Associates Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Center in 1981.
- Regular speaker at Physical Therapy schools nationwide.
- Presenter on multiple professional topics at numerous state and national conventions.
- A true crusader for the profession of Physical Therapy and patient advocacy.
- Appointed Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation Consultant for China's Olympic Team 2012.
Kenneth W. Mengel, PT, MPT, OCS Clinical Director
- Master of Physical Therapy from the University of Southern California 1994.
- With Fortanasce & Associates since 1989.
- Earned his Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist certification in 2001 and recertification in 2011.
- Published in the Journal of Orthopedic Sports Physical Therapy relating to the treatment of knee pain. Received the Rose Award of Excellence in Clinical Research…the highest honor for clinical research from the APTA.
- Served as part-time faculty at Western University of Health Sciences Physical Therapy Department teaching Kinesiology, Musculoskeletal Evaluation and Treatment as well as in the Department of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Presented community talks on Fitness and Wellness in addition to Foot-Ankle Health/Footwear.
- Enjoys spending time with his family, sports, fitness, backpacking, fishing and reading books on U.S. history and biography.
David A. Gutkind, PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Director
- Bachelor of Health Science and Physical Therapy from California State University, Northridge 1989
- Clinical Doctorate Physical Therapy from Western University of Health Sciences 2006
- Earned his Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist certification in 1997 and recertification in 2007.
- Published the comprehensive book "End Back and Neck Pain" in 2012 along with Vincent Fortanasce, MD and Robert Watkins, MD.
- Specialty expertise in industrial and ergonomic evaluation/intervention
- Regular speaker at multiple Southern California Physical Therapy schools.
- Presented multiple community talks on Balance/Fall Prevention, Fitness and Spine Care & Wellness
- Enjoys spending time with his family, sports, fitness, playing guitar and bass and reading books on history, biography and adventure.
Lilian Chen-Fortanasce, PT, DPT, OCS, MS, CPI Physical Therapist
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy from University of Southern California 2003.
- With Fortanasce & Associates since 2006.
- Earned her Orthopedic Clinical Specialist certification in 2008.
- Serviced as full-time physical therapist at USC University Hospital from 2003 to 2006; coordinator at International Sports Rehabilitation Internships at USC clinical faculty.
- Serviced as consultant to the Chinese Olympic Committee for 2008 Beijing, 2012 London Olympics; project manager of Injury prevention & rehabilitation/Performance optimization for China National Training Center.
- Leading the Chinese translation for Clinical Practice Guideline for JOSPT.
- Presented public lecturer and interpreter for All-China Sport Federation on Sports Specific Rehabilitation, CSCS, and Fitness symposium.
- Enjoys spending time with her family, tennis, Pilates, and traveling.
Johnny Chen, PT, DPT, CSCS Physical Therapist
- Received his Bachelor's degree in Integrative Biology at the University of California, Berkeley in 2001.
- Received his Doctorate of Physical therapy degree at the University of Southern California in 2005.
- Has been a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) since 2004.
- Active member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and has been an Orthopedics section member since 2004.
- With Fortanasce & Associates since 2007.
- Fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
- Enjoys sports (Go Cal Bears!), church-related activities, traveling, and spending time with his wife and two children.
Tamara Enfiedjian, PT, DPT, OCS, ATC Physical Therapist
- Doctor of Physical Therapy from Chapman University in 2006.
- Completed a year-long orthopedic residency at Fortanasce & Associates in 2007.
- Earned Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist certification in 2008.
- Became a Certified Athletic Trainer in 2003, working with a variety of college sports teams.
- Active member of the American Physical Therapy Association and Orthopedics Section as well as National Athletic Trainers' Association.
- Interested in fitness, outdoor activities including hiking, cultural and church-related events, and adventuring around the world.
Ryan L. Kahanu, PT, DPT Physical Therapist
- Bachelor of Science in Health and Exercise Science with a concentration in Sports Medicine; Minor in Spanish from Colorado State University (2009)
- Clinical Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the University of Southern California (2012)
- Began with Fortanasce in 2012
- Fluent in English and Spanish. Has a working knowledge of French, Italian, and Portuguese. Learning Russian.
- Interests include gymnastics, parkour, and running. Also enjoys hiking, traveling, learning new languages & cultures, and spending time at the beach.
Casey Chaney, PT, PhD, OCS, CSCS Physical Therapist
- PhD from the University of Utah in 1988
- With Fortanasce & Associates since 1996
- Earned her Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist certification in 2001 and recertification in 2011
- Published in the Journal of Orthopaedic Sports Physical Therapy in 2007 on a study examining surface EMG in patients with shoulder impingement
- Associate Professor at Western University of Health Sciences in the Department of Physical Therapy for 20 years
- Coordinates the Advanced Standing DPT program at Western University of Health Sciences
- Current Nominating Chairperson for the San Gabriel Valley District of the California Physical Therapy Association as well as Assembly Representative
Laurie Vitiello, OTR/L, CHT Director of Occupational Therapy and Hand Therapy
- Bachelor of science in Occupational Therapy from Florida International University in Miami
- Earned her Certified Hand Specialist in 2001
- 30 years experience with expertise in fabrication of custom hand and upper extremity splints
- Experience in diverse setting including private practice, Hand Centers, hospital outpatient, Rehabilitation, acute care, and home care.
- Extensive experience with hand trauma and wound care including acute burns
- Treatment of surgical shoulder patients including total shoulder arthroplasty
- Expertise in treatment of the cumulative trauma patient with instruction in ergonomics posture strengthening and stretch
- Experience with arthritis splint fabrication and instruction in joint protection and energy conservation techniques
- Enjoys spending time with friends and family with a love of the outdoors, travel, swimming and working closely with people
Josh Loyo, BS Biology, PTA Physical Therapist Assistant
- Began working at Fortanasce and Associates in 2012.
- Graduated from UC: Riverside in 2008 with his Bachelor's in Biology.
- In 2012 obtained his license to practice as a Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Looking to obtain his certified strength and conditioning certification and Titleist Performance level I golf certification within the next year in order to focus on golf biomechanics, strengthening and injury prevention courses.
- In his spare time he enjoys being active and outdoors whether it be with his camera, snowboard, golf clubs, tennis racket, softball bat, or soccer ball.
Nikola Drazenovic, MS, ATC, PES, CES Sports Medicine and Sports Performance Coordinator
- Nikola earned his Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology focus in Athletic Training from California State University of Fullerton in 2007.
- Continued on his education by attending California Baptist University and earning his Masters of Science in Athletic Training in 2009.
- Board Certified Athletic Trainer, member of National Athletic Trainers Association and a National Academy of Sports Medicine Corrective Exercise Specialist since 2009.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Performance Enhancement Specialist since 2012.
- Nikola began with Fortanasce and Associates in 2010.
- Assisted in the development of Fortanasce Athletic Sports Training (F.A.S.T.) a Sports Performance Optimization Program for a range of athletes of all ages.
- Nikola currently resides locally with his wife Nicole, and away from work enjoys the great outdoors by boating, camping, hiking and fishing.
Kristana Grant, BA, CPI Director of Pilates
- Pilates Certification under the guidance of world-renowned instructor Marie-Josie Blom-Lawrence.
- Her training has a strong emphasis on Physical Therapy Pilates and Remedial Programming.
- In addition to Pilates, she offers Postural Assessments, Nutritional Counseling, Poolates, and Pre and Post-Natal Pilates.
- Bachelor's Degree in Speech Communication with an emphasis in English and a minor in Psychology from San Diego State University.
Julie Graves, BS Director of Fitness Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with emphasis in rehabilitation and therapeutic exercises from California State University at Los Angeles 2009.
- Began with Fortanasce & Associates in 2008.
- Runs the Balance Improvement Program.
- Currently working towards her Physical Therapy Assistant Degree at Cerritos College with expected graduation spring 2014.
- Enjoys spending time with her husband, reading, watching movies and participating in outdoor activities.
Jonathan Ross, BS
- Received his Bachelor's degree in International Relations at the University of Southern California in 2005
- Studied Biological Sciences at Pasadena City College
- Personal Trainer at the former Pasadena Athletic Club
- With Fortanasce & Associates since 2008
- Winner of the 2012 Santa Barbara Pier to Peak Half-Marathon Endurance Challenge and the 2012 Mammoth Half-Marathon, among other events.
- An avid exercise enthusiast and hiker with interests in food, adventure travel and spending time with friends.
- With Fortanasce since 1999.
- Working with the Senior Program since 2005.
- I enjoy outdoors activities, exercise/fitness activities, photography, editing, and traveling.
Steve Smekar, MS
- Graduated year 2000 from Lakeland College in Sheboygan, WI with bachelors in Exercise Science and Sports Studies.
- Graduated year 2002 from University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with Masters in Exercise Science.
- Instructor of Arcadia Gardens Retirement Hotel Stretch and Strengthen program.
- Interested in holistic health, alternative and complimentary modalities.
- Involved in community outreach instructing patients locally.
Alicia Vessey, BA, ATC, CES Certified Athletic Trainer
- Bachelor of Arts in Athletic Training from Azusa Pacific University 2012.
- APU Outstanding Senior Award in Athletic Training Education 2012.
- Became a Board Certified Athletic Trainer 2012.
- Became a National Academy of Sports Medicine Corrective Exercise Specialist 2012.
- Member of the National Athletic Trainers' Association since 2011.
- Certified Athletic Trainer at Gabrielino High School, working with all sports on campus.
- CIF Certified Assessor for wrestling hydration testing.
- Enjoys spending time with friends, hiking and outdoor adventures, going to coffee shops, and making scrapbooks.
Lindsay Cunningham Office Manager
- Brings a unique combination of knowledge, customer service, and empathy to the physical therapy field.
- Employment with Fortanasce & Associates began in 2008 as a PT Aide while attending California State University, Fullerton as a Kinesiology major.
- Interest in Physical Therapy and experience in business led her to become our clinic’s Office Manager in 2010.
- Continues to expand her education so that can better serve the patients.
- Southern California native who grew up in the Arcadia school district. In her free time, she enjoys running with the Fortanasce running club, traveling, and is a football enthusiast. Go Pack Go!
Front Office: Lorena Bernardelli, Patrice Gallentine, Victoria Mujukian
Insurance Verification: Janet McGaharn
Please call for further details! 671 Naomi Ave. • Arcadia, CA 91007 • P: (626) 446-7027